Google+

Login

New topic Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Forcing Canter down hill
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:02 am 
Squire

Hi,

Here's one for you all. At the end of my last lesson yesterday we where doing passes on the left as if we where jousting along a tilt line without lances etc. It wasn't planned and the lesson was basically over and the line was not level so one of us was cantering down hill while the other was cantering up hill.

I admit Rocky was a bit hot as we had been doing mounted melee for over an hour.

I could get a nice canter up the hill but coming back down Rocky was being lazy and running on the forequarter instead of collecting up and cantering.

Didn't have time to sort it out so thought I would post and see what people recommended.

Things I had thought of was:

1) Get Rocky listening to me again by doing some walk halt transition.
2) Then some walk trot.
3) Then start the down hill at walk, then when i have a good walk get a good trot with the rhythm I'm looking for then with out letting him run transition to canter. All down hill. Even if it takes the half the tilt to get the canter.
4) Keep doing it getting the transitions closer and closer together until down hill I can get the transitions to canter in a few steps.

Would this work? Is that the correct approach? Is there a better way? What do you do if when going down hill you horse wants to run rather than canter?

Bryan.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:40 am 
White Lady

I would say that it's one good approach. There could be others as well, depending a little on what kind of rider you are, and what's your strong or weak side as a rider.

Some would just strengthen their seat, use more leg and just collect the horse more in the downwards slope, but that's for more advanced riders.

This sounds like good work, Bryan...

Hanne

Paradox is a pointer telling you to look beyond it. If paradoxes bother you, that betrays your deep desire for absolutes. The relativist treats a paradox merely as interesting, perhaps amusing or even, dreadful thought, educational.

Frank Herbert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:52 am 
Squire

Thanks Hanne,

I'm going to ask Liz to put it on my to do list for my next lesson and try and collect the horse deepen my seat even if my legs move forward slightly till the horse collects.

So draw the horse in and apply leg.

Let you know how I get on.

Thank you very much.

Bryan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:26 am 
Squire

Hanne,

Had another lesson this morning. Started the early stages of collection starting with the basics, good rhythm, relaxation getting the head to lower and then collect in etc.. But the reason for this post was after the lesson I discussed with Liz about my previous lesson and the problem I had with rocky wanting to run down hill rather than cantering and what you suggested with deepening my seat and collecting the horse while giving leg etc.

She said my seat (for my level) is good and deep and all I needed to do was collect and apply leg and I would have been fine.

We have put it on the list for next lesson - some cantering down hill and see how I go.

Will report back in a week.

Bryan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:06 am 
White Lady

Cool! 8)

Hanne

Paradox is a pointer telling you to look beyond it. If paradoxes bother you, that betrays your deep desire for absolutes. The relativist treats a paradox merely as interesting, perhaps amusing or even, dreadful thought, educational.

Frank Herbert.

New topic Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]