Google+

Login

New topic Reply to topic   [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: More equal than others?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:54 am 
White Lady

This weekend's clinic made me think. I have held a clinic in the Norwegian mountains, in a small community where everyone has to attend the clinics that actually are, instead of making speciality stunts for this or that riding style or horse breed. So, I instructed a western rider with a quarter horse training for competition, an icelandic rider in the tölt, a couple of warmblood trotters that has some problems in their gaits, a fjord, a warmblood dressage horse, and professional mountain hacking leader and a couple of other different breeds and riding styles.

It struck me how well people can interact across all these boundaries if they only try. How we can sit and discuss problems and ideas, because a horse is a horse and a human body is the same regardless of style and philosophy.

It also struck me how many groups of riders build an identity from their environment and their group. Often they have somebody who sets the standard that everyone wants to follow, also when it comes to clothing, helmet or no helmet, horse tack and even ways to speak and behave. I know this is a way many people feel secure, because they feel a part of a larger community, but it also closes your boundaries and fences in your ability to see the horizon. Searching for the truth inside a small pen might not give you the answers you need.

Isn't it strange how people end up dressing in even the same style of riding breeches? Actually I am a little proud that many of our riders ride with a riding helmet on despite the fact that Pelle doesn't. That they dress in whatever they feel is confortable or stylish, regardless of what we or others in our yard wear. That we attract all kinds of riders from all styles, and that everyone feels accepted.

You are not your group. You are an individual. Everyone is not equal. And especially: Nobody is more equal than others.

Paradox is a pointer telling you to look beyond it. If paradoxes bother you, that betrays your deep desire for absolutes. The relativist treats a paradox merely as interesting, perhaps amusing or even, dreadful thought, educational.

Frank Herbert.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

New topic Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]